Nothing

Typical El Presidente Random Thoughts type stuff

Re: Nothing

Postby rearadmiral » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:35 am

The misinformed word, you mean?

Some goof makes a video (read up on the guy) that's gonna solve the geopolitical problems of Africa after 1000s of years and everybody blindly RTs it to feel good about themselves for 10 seconds without bothering to Google it.
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby K-G » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:55 am

Did you watch the video?

It was extremely well made. And would love to know what he said that's misinformed. He has no belief that he can cure the problems in Africa but how the fuck is trying to get Kony off the streets a bad thing?

How many people even knew who Kony was yesterday morning? How many know now?
lugnutz wrote:See as I have explained before I never had to take English in high school or college....others did it for me. So I my writing skills are lacking.
K-G
PostDemPixls

Postby lugnutz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:58 am

Actually I read a bunch of stuff yesterday the guy has abducted 30,000 young men from all over Africa and made them soldiers. His LRA has been classified as a terrorist group by our country, and has had soldiers assisting several African governments since 08 in trying to capture him. He is not even exclusively in Uganda any longer, his actions have spread to different areas with the same human cost wherever he ends up. The cluster fuck that is African government and red tape have made it hard to get him.

Without the social media blitz few would know less would care because there is no money in it, or oil.
2011 Canning Bowl Beer Pong Champion!
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby lugnutz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:00 am

Saying that its not going to solve "the geopolitical problems of Africa after 1000s of years" is like not stepping on a cockroach because its not going to kill them all. Have to start somewhere
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby M.S.83 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:01 am

There is money in it for the invisible children non-profit group. Only 30% of donations go to help the children. Non-profit my ass.
M.S.83
Professional Bike Rider

Postby lugnutz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:05 am

You have the tax records on that? The film maker does it for a living I'm sure he takes the costs of it all from the donations, but after watching the video and reading the story he seems to me to be doing something that wouldn't have been done without his efforts. The fact that 30,000 kids have been raped, murdered and abducted seems like it shouldn't be ignored.
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby K-G » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:09 am

M.S.83 wrote:There is money in it for the invisible children non-profit group. Only 30% of donations go to help the children. Non-profit my ass.

Um how many "non-profits" aren't like this??

And getting the word out isn't helping the children?
lugnutz wrote:See as I have explained before I never had to take English in high school or college....others did it for me. So I my writing skills are lacking.
K-G
PostDemPixls

Postby M.S.83 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:11 am

M.S.83
Professional Bike Rider

Postby M.S.83 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:13 am

Don't get me wrong its a terrible thing that happens over there my beef is just with the charity.
M.S.83
Professional Bike Rider

Postby rearadmiral » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:23 am

K-G wrote:Did you watch the video?

It was extremely well made. And would love to know what he said that's misinformed. He has no belief that he can cure the problems in Africa but how the fuck is trying to get Kony off the streets a bad thing?

How many people even knew who Kony was yesterday morning? How many know now?

I did. Then I read up on his 'charity' and some stuff by scholars on the issue. Lots of contradictions (enough to give me pause from just clicking 'retweet').

Don Cheadle had some thoughtful Tweets on the subject regarding why it's not always the best thing when they US takes on a paternalistic role in ancient African tribal beefs whose history makes you dizzy trying to keep track (great white savior doesn't have best history on that continent).

They can pull him out of there today and it won't change a thing. There'll just be a new Kony putting kids to war. And this shit goes on all over Africa. It's a bloody, old mess that some do-gooder from SoCal isn't gonna fix because of a slick video. Sorry.

This is just latest African cause that will quickly be forgotten.
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby lugnutz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:26 am

That is where the value of a social media blitz comes in, when the focus moves so will the supporters. Its changing the world and the evidence is clearly there that it will continue. I think your hatred of Facebook has blinded you. lol
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby rearadmiral » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:33 am

Where did I mention FB?

Yes, I agree it's awful. But color me skeptical that real change will come from this.
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby lugnutz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:38 am

But real change has already come from it, in this case and several others. Facebook, twitter and Youtube have been credited with helping to topple governments over the last several years.
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby rearadmiral » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:52 am

Sub-Saharan Africa is a different animal, lug.

Where the hell is Bluc? He can elucidate this better than me.
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby lugnutz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 am

He actually shared the video on his Facebook yesterday and said it was too close to home for his liking. I imagine he will stay out of this debate.
lugnutz
I post a lot

PreviousNext

Return to Misc