Nothing

Typical El Presidente Random Thoughts type stuff

Re: Nothing

Postby B Luc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:03 am

I knew who Kony long ago, when my mother compared him to that fucking animal Idi Amin (that's a different rant for a different day). As my mother is 100% Ugandan, born and raised til the ago of 19 or so, this hits really really close to home. I've been to Uganda twice, and I've seen what warlords can do to a country and the fear it can instill in good people who just want live their lives.

But what else do you want me to add? It would take me a while to fully explain the tribal feuds and political issues of sub-saharan Africa, the impact of the Kony situation, and what could very easily be done to address these things...or not done, in turn.
Whores til proven otherwise. And they so rarely do.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby rearadmiral » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:14 am

Sorry, bud, to drag you in. I should have given it a second thought.

I guess I'm just trying to make the point that the video will make people aware...but no real change will happen. Like USA for Africa, the Sudan, Rwanda, etc.
“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby lugnutz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:16 am

I don't think its fair to say no real change has happened though RA. There are things, lasting things, that have changed and happened from all those things. Hoping for a cure all and not doing anything isn't going to work for anyone. At least doing small things will impact a few lives.
2011 Canning Bowl Beer Pong Champion!
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby lugnutz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:19 am

And the Island chimes in

I’m not about to say that the people sharing this video don’t have their heart in the right place, but knock it off. If you send me a YouTube longer than 3 minutes, I’m going to immediately close it. If you send me a YouTube that is 29 minutes, I’m going to raise my eyebrows at the audacity you have to think I’d watch it, then close it. Africa is a fucked up place, no doubt about that. Joseph Kony is a bad dude, for sure. But you’re not a world beater-because you clicked retweet or posted a video on Faceboook. Don’t act holier than thou, you’ve done nothing. If you want to go over and actually do good in Africa, be my guest. But you’re no better than anyone else for watching a video. No one in Africa is seeing this. It’s a viral video that will make Americans feel bad for a few minutes then go on their merry way. So quit sending me the fucking video. I’ve gotten the 50 thousand emails you guys sent to tips. Enough.

PS – Here and here are some articles explaining why the whole thing is a crock of shit. I’m sure some is exaggerated the same way the video is exaggerated, but it’s way more interesting if you ask me.

Double PS – the video is being watched and shared most by women 13-24 years old. Changing the world!
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby B Luc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:28 am

rearadmiral wrote:Sorry, bud, to drag you in. I should have given it a second thought.

I guess I'm just trying to make the point that the video will make people aware...but no real change will happen. Like USA for Africa, the Sudan, Rwanda, etc.

No need to apologize.

The purpose of the video is to make people aware. People who are aware and want to get active will get active. Everyone who watched the video? No chance. But to force the hand of politicians to do something, the politicians have to believe their jobs are in jeopardy or they may get bad press for inaction. And that relates to Pols in any "free" country, not just America.

If you view the video from a non-personal standpoint, which is hard for me to do personally, it's purpose is to enact change. And the younger generation is far more active in trying to make a better world than mine was at that age. Because the directors or whatever they're called chose this particular issue to pick up, doesn't mean that the message stops with Kony...or that it's supposed to stop there. A majority of the worlds population lives in their own little bubbles only focusing on what's in front of them and what's important to just them. Some call it individuality, some call it isolationism. But that's not for me to decide.

BTW, I have a few buddies who did tours in Iraq who are slightly crazy, and apparently the Ugandan soldiers (by their account, not mine) did a lot of the guard duty at the gates because they weren't under the same "restrictions" as the U.S. military is. Meaning they shot first and asked questions later if there was even an inkling of a threat. So there is a relationship between US military forces and ugandan military forces, if what I've been told is true.
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby rearadmiral » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:43 pm

“You’ve been waiting for it for a long time, but you got it. You wanted it, you got it. We’re bringing it home.’’
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby lugnutz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:44 pm

That boy better have some rodeo training
lugnutz
I post a lot

Postby B Luc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Are we sure that's not a dude in drag?
B Luc
I post a lot

Postby Section 40 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:36 pm

That is either a guy or one of the ugliest women I have ever seen.
Section 40
Alt-Tab Master

Postby AY » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:50 pm

"You stay bought into it when you see your opponent sucking air and physically failing, and you're still fit and ready, and you know you own his ass."
-Former Bama LB Cory Reamer on Coach Cochran's training program
AY
Not As Awesome as I think!

Postby Section 40 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:43 am

Cue the tumbleweeds but is anyone going to Van Halen on Sunday?
Section 40
Alt-Tab Master

Postby rearadmiral » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:18 pm

That's Sunday? Hmmm....
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby rearadmiral » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Umm. Not for $165.
rearadmiral
I post a lot

Postby Section 40 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Fantastic stage side loges (14) available on Ticketmaster right now.
Section 40
Alt-Tab Master

Postby lugnutz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:21 am

lugnutz
I post a lot

PreviousNext

Return to Misc